ACBO is the professional association for independent optometrists who wish to differentiate themselves by focusing on functional vision care, neurodevelopmental optometry and vision therapy.
ACBO members have the same qualifications as all other optometrists registered in Australia, and may also have additional qualifications such as Fellow of ACBO, COVD, or may have completed the Behavioural unit of the Masters of Optometry at UNSW. ACBO members have an obligation to attend Continuing Professional Development events specific to Behavioural Optometry, additional to that required to maintain their registration.
ACBO Members adhere to the following Codes, standards and guidelines:
- OBA Optometry Code of Conduct
- AHPRA Advertising Guidelines
- ACBO Code of Ethics
- Competency Standards for Optometry 2014
Behavioural Optomery offers a philosophy of practice which explains vision beyond the eyeball and the letter-chart. It is a whole-body approach to vision. Becoming an ACBO member sets you apart in the optometry community. From education to information, your ACBO membership will give you the tools you need for the pursuit of excellence.
On joining, you will receive our Welcome Pack which contains your membership card, information on how to get the most out of your membership, sample patient care pamphlets, and vouchers for special ACBO member offers from our generous sponsors.
Membership Fees (12 months)
All ACBO membership fees are for12 months from date of joining.
|Australia (GST incl.)||$595||$595||$180||$180||FREE|
|New Zealand & International||$220||$220||$170||$170||FREE|
|*Prices in Australian Dollars (AUD)||Sign up||Sign up||Sign up||Sign up|
Renewing your membership? Renew Now
What Members Receive
|Priority Online Directory Listing|
|ACBO Online Directory Listing|
|OEP Online International Directory Listing|
|Info Box practice display system||
|OEP Monograph publications|
|Online Shop Discounts|
|FREE 30 min consultation with Mark Overton of Ideology Consulting once per year (in person/by phone)|
|FREE 60 minute initial accounting/financial planning consultation with Navacue Accountants (in person/by phone)|
|$200 voucher from CR Surfacing Laboratories for new members||
|Presentation kit on request for school presentations|
|Certificate of Membership (on request)|
|Use of ACBO logo for stationery & signage|
- ACBO Membership period is 12 months from date of commencement for all membership types.
- ACBO will not refund any part of a membership subscription fee if a member chooses to terminate their membership mid-term.
- Members must be registered practicing Optometrists
- On joining, new members must agree to comply with ACBO's Code of Ethics
- Members must attend at least one 2 day conference every 12 months to maintain their membership
Fellows receive all the benefits of certified members and are recognised by other professionals and the larger community as providing the highest level of professional behavioural care. Fellows are given priority listing in the member's directory.
- Fellows must remain financial ACBO members to retain their status
The following criteria apply to those candidates seeking such accreditation:
- The candidate must work with an ACBO Member
- The submission of a range of assignments in varied areas of vision therapy to the ACBO Examination Board for review to ensure an appropriate standard of care
- The Accredited Vision Therapist needs to continue work under the supervision of an ACBO Member to maintain accreditation.
Accredited Therapists may join ACBO in this capacity to benefit from its ongoing continuing education programs which may be unavailable to other vision therapists.
- Members taking an extended break from practice
- Maternity or extended Family Leave
- Other Healthcare Professionals
- Referrers or others with an interest in Behavioural Optometry
Associate Members are able to view the Members' Blog & Forum, but only full Members are eligible to post.